Thursday, July 15, 2004


Atmosphere - Summer Song
Buy Love Songs For New York

I'm not really sure why this Atmosphere song is on this compilation. This compilation was compiled by the Village Voice and the songs were supposed to directly address the September 11, 2001 tragedy. When listening to "Summer Song" there is only one line that alludes to 9/11. The line goes, "Here she goes with that look in her eyes/ the souls of those that got took by surprise/ crooked little smile that clings to her lips/ on a night like this i sing for the bitch." The rest of the song just seems to be Slug rapping about his problems with women with lines like, "And if she only knew how long I've waited for her/ how her smile's enough to make my winter warmer/ if she knew the way she walks could take away my storms she'd probably call the cops and get a restraining order," and "this is for the ladies, not every lady/ just the ones that drive me crazy/ the ones that scream save me/ i want to thank y'all for everything you gave me/ now lean in and taste me." So, am I missing something here or does this song have nothing to do with 9/11. Take a listen and let me know what you think. And by the way, I'm not dissing this song. This happens to be one of my favorite songs by Atmosphere, but I just can't fathom why it would be on a compilation like this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home